While chlorine and bleach solutions will neutralize many biological and chemical agents, the run-off is still hazardous, and the product itself is highly corrosive. Once applied and cleaned, the run off must be contained and disposed of in accordance with EPA regulations.

WARNING: Do not use bleach!

  • OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration and the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) have stopped recommending the use of liquid bleach for mold remediation. They have edited their publication “A brief guide to mold and moisture and your home” to exclude the use of bleach as a means to kill mold.
  • The chemical properties of bleach prevent it from soaking into porous materials.
  • Bleach will only remove the stain from the surface, but will not kill the mold spore roots. The remaining roots will continue to grow back worse than before.
  • The active ingredient in bleach is chlorine. More than 90% of bleach is water. The chlorine evaporates quickly, and you are left with material you just soaked with water, which mold leaves.
  • Bleach will break down wood and weaken structural support.
  • When bleach comes in contact with any type of ammonia, a deadly gas is released. Urine contains ammonia!
  • When bleach evaporates it releases Dioxins, a known cancer-causing chemical.
  • Bleach is highly corrosive to skin and metal surfaces.